I often hear black girls complain that their hair is difficult to control, and it’s precisely because we are not meant to control it.
I have always found that jeans hurt my body with waistlines digging into my stomach as I try to exhale.
T shirts that cut into my arms, bras that dig into my flesh leaving scars that remain today.
We were not the architects of this system, of course these things won’t fit us when they come from people who refuse to acknowledge that we exist. We know this because we see their runways, their print ads, their magazines. We are not wrong.
Beige is not the definition of ‘nude’, my hair does not need to be restrained, it needs to be liberated. My hair isn’t so thick, I didn’t go through puberty too early, my mama is not ‘plus sized’ - these statement all use an invented standard of whiteness and then define me in relation to that standard.
Fuck mainstream. Fuck counter culture and sub culture. We are our own mainstream. We are our own culture.
Fuck standards and constructions of normal. Nothing ever grew by being measured. We grow by being nurtured and affirmed for who we are as we are. Standards are always relative.
-Kim Katrin Crosby"
- sonotsarah reblogged this from shibaeinu
- awesome-sauce-ness reblogged this from redisnumber1
- princesstoph likes this
- bienvenue-au-monde likes this
- xiv-leyli likes this
- redisnumber1 reblogged this from adultsupervisionpls
- likeworriedfire likes this
- shibaeinu reblogged this from alicia-offkeys
- moonsads likes this
- she-wearsdenim reblogged this from violettevenus
- mega-alacrity reblogged this from bipolarfeminist
- backwards-and-in-high-heels reblogged this from lovelyhesitation
- dazedbythegaze reblogged this from theunitingherb
- theunitingherb reblogged this from officialtylerperry2
- valentina02151 reblogged this from dmonstaa
- unfairmaiden likes this
- deannawr likes this
- fractallogic likes this
- ladyarachne reblogged this from fringe-upon-fringe
- cronbread likes this
- natarisaru likes this
- mydeardarlingbekah likes this
- onthemanymanywars likes this
- itsart-loveit reblogged this from alicia-offkeys
- failureisntanoptionitsinevitable likes this
- scroooge-mcduck reblogged this from alicia-offkeys
- statesmasher reblogged this from corporatevagina
- lilkittygrl likes this
- chris22843 likes this
- surfb0arclt likes this
- poopkidus reblogged this from corporatevagina
- alicia-offkeys reblogged this from officialtylerperry2
- officialtylerperry2 reblogged this from littlestsylveon
- littlestsylveon reblogged this from spindawear
- anjahair likes this
- corporatevagina reblogged this from spindawear
- hypnictwitch likes this
- music-for-the-soulmate reblogged this from nowhere-child
- nowhere-child reblogged this from bipolarfeminist
- energy53 likes this
- 3k626ekful7ozxujar43keiw236in2h likes this
- radfembuzzkill likes this
- dmonstaa reblogged this from aster-disaster
- curlsandyarn reblogged this from bipolarfeminist
- bipolarfeminist reblogged this from spindawear
- veganradical likes this
- spindawear reblogged this from aster-disaster
- aster-disaster reblogged this from skiptheyouth
- hunnydrip likes this