I often hear black girls complain that their hair is difficult to control, and it’s precisely because we are not meant to control it.
I have always found that jeans hurt my body with waistlines digging into my stomach as I try to exhale.
T shirts that cut into my arms, bras that dig into my flesh leaving scars that remain today.
We were not the architects of this system, of course these things won’t fit us when they come from people who refuse to acknowledge that we exist. We know this because we see their runways, their print ads, their magazines. We are not wrong.
Beige is not the definition of ‘nude’, my hair does not need to be restrained, it needs to be liberated. My hair isn’t so thick, I didn’t go through puberty too early, my mama is not ‘plus sized’ - these statement all use an invented standard of whiteness and then define me in relation to that standard.
Fuck mainstream. Fuck counter culture and sub culture. We are our own mainstream. We are our own culture.
Fuck standards and constructions of normal. Nothing ever grew by being measured. We grow by being nurtured and affirmed for who we are as we are. Standards are always relative.
-Kim Katrin Crosby"
- harmonicbreak likes this
- rachymartin reblogged this from highheels-videogames
- highheels-videogames reblogged this from thoughtsofablackgirl
- jiya-c likes this
- eyeslikesk-y likes this
- joanndavis360 reblogged this from thelazynatural
- shnappycutz reblogged this from youngliftedandblack
- timannequin likes this
- simplybex reblogged this from ibelieveingatsby
- simplybex likes this
- participation-trophy-wife likes this
- nekomanko reblogged this from ibelieveingatsby
- ibelieveingatsby reblogged this from bdoon
- thecuriouscaseofroxannaevans likes this
- rastamomma23 likes this
- whenyoureajanuarybaby reblogged this from aqueensroyalty
- whenyoureajanuarybaby likes this
- failingmisery reblogged this from susiethemoderator
- speaker-cat reblogged this from feministplayground
- speaker-cat likes this
- sexualclouds likes this
- moomookins711 reblogged this from feministplayground
- moomookins711 likes this
- astoraea likes this
- xxkissin-your-bitchxx likes this
- xxkissin-your-bitchxx reblogged this from thelazynatural
- whisperscream likes this
- hstarshine likes this
- thewonderyears reblogged this from lynnwho
- thughiko likes this
- obieleharper likes this
- myglassesarefoggy reblogged this from thoughtsofablackgirl
- sweetsongofsongs reblogged this from becomevana
- bashfulsass reblogged this from greythegryphon
- greythegryphon reblogged this from nexipsum
- wickedgirl21 reblogged this from chocolatehighhh
- allshadesofnatural reblogged this from thoughtsofablackgirl
- chocolaterainbow1 reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- cant-thinkboutit reblogged this from lynnwho
- flawlessbitchesirrelevanthoes likes this
- igottafindpieceofmind likes this
- mintchocolatechip- reblogged this from pinkhighxo
- apparentmagnitudes likes this
- fau-nae likes this
- quantumcappuccino reblogged this from blackkidstable
- blackkidstable reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- rubyswebsite likes this
- feminism5ever reblogged this from yochevedke
- johnswatstache reblogged this from ssconess